Engineering is full of limitless possibilities. it only software engineering, Civil Engineeringelectronic Engineering Not limited to Adi’s popular career streams, but you robotic engineering, mechanical Engineering And you can also search for Geotech Engineering etc. One such lesser known field is metallurgical engineering. Referred to as the study of metals and mining, metallurgical engineering is slowly progressing into a full-fledged career. This blog explains why to make a career in metallurgical engineering, what are the possibilities and many more.
What is Metallurgical Engineering?
Metallurgical engineering is a sub-field of engineering that studies various properties and processes related to metal and metal extraction. The field also applies engineering fundamentals to the processing, design, and extraction of metals, as well as the analysis of key processes in the metals industry. If you are interested in assessing the various practical and theoretical aspects revolving around metals and ores, this is an ideal field to explore. Metallurgical engineering is also associated with diverse fields like mining, structuring of alloys, separating minerals, etc.
Why pursue a career in Metallurgical Engineering?
Know why making a career in metallurgical engineering is right for you from the points given below:
- By pursuing a career in metallurgical engineering, you specialize in the extraction, processing and casting of various metals from ores and use of alloys for various applications.
- It is best for people who are interested in researching and discovering about metals and related things.
- Graduates from pursuing a career in metallurgical engineering work with a range of metals and are typically employed by industries that deal with metals and alloys. Some metallurgists work in development and research while others design and manufacture.
- After doing metallurgical engineering, graduates can work in civil services, defense forces, metal and metal-related material manufacturing, foundries, road development and research organizations, metal specialists and utilities consultants, etc.
To make a career in metallurgical engineering, you must have the following skills:
- problem solving
- communication skills
- teamwork skills
- leadership skills
- analytical skills
- creative thinking skills
- Basic Computer and Business Skills
metallurgical engineering courses
Some of the top courses for metallurgical engineering are as follows:
- Diploma in Metallurgical and Materials Engineering
- B.Tech in Metallurgical and Materials Engineering
- BE in Metallurgical and Materials Engineering
- M.Tech in Metallurgical and Materials Engineering
- ME in Metallurgical and Materials Engineering
Given below is the list of subjects taught in metallurgical engineering courses:
- materials science
- physical metallurgy
- applied mechanics
- engineering drawing
- mechanical Engineering
- powder metallurgy
- composite material
- Metallurgical Thermodynamics
- strength of material
- Corrosion and Surface Engineering
- thermal engineering
- numerical analysis
- Thermodynamics of Materials
- extractive metallurgy
- engineering mathematics
- engineering physics
- mining engineering
- fluid dynamics
- mechanical working of metals
- mass transfer
top universities abroad
Choosing the right university is essential for making a career in metallurgical engineering, so here is a list of top universities:
top universities in india
Here are some of the top colleges in India to pursue a degree in Metallurgical Engineering –
- IIT Madras
- IIT Bombay
- IIT Kharagpur
- IIT Roorkee
- IIT Hyderabad
- NIT Trichy
- IIT Indore
The general eligibility criteria for Metallurgical Engineering is given below:
- Must have passed 10+2 with compulsory science subjects (PCB/PCM).
- Minimum aggregate required is 55%.
- Those having Diploma in Metallurgical Engineering can also qualify for B.Tech through Lateral Entry.
- Must have BE or BTech degree.
- The minimum percentage should be 50% or its equivalent CGPA.
Apart from the above mentioned criteria, you also need to qualify for national or state level entrance exams like GATE, JEE Main, MH CET, and WBJEE or entrance exams conducted by the institute bodies in which you want to enroll yourself.
The application process for admission in foreign universities is as follows-
- The first step in your application process is to choose the right course for which you AI Course Finder You can shortlist your favorite courses with the help of
- After getting in touch with the experts, they will initiate your application process across multiple universities through a common dashboard platform.
- Next step all your documents like SOPEssay, Certificates and LOR and Required Test Scores like IELTS, TOEFL, SAT, ACT To collect and organize etc.
- If you have yet IELTS, TOEFL, PTE, GMAT, GRE If you haven’t prepared for exams etc., which is certainly an important factor in studying abroad, you Leverage Live can attend classes. These classes can prove to be an important factor in getting you a high score in your test.
- After submitting your application and all required documents, Experts Accommodation, student visa And will start the application process for scholarship / student loan.
- Now is the time to wait for your offer letter which can take around 4-6 weeks or more. Accepting the offer letter and paying the required semester fee is the last step in your application process.
The application process in the universities of India is as follows-
- First of all register by visiting the official website of your chosen university.
- After registering on the university website, you will receive a username and password.
- Then after signing in to the website, select your chosen course which you want to do.
- Now fill the application form with educational qualification, category etc.
- After that submit the application form and pay the required application fee.
- If the admission is based on the entrance test then first register for the entrance test and then wait for the counseling after the result. You will be selected on the basis of entrance exam marks and list will be issued.
Some of the required documents are listed below-
Some of the entrance exams for Metallurgist Engineering are:
- JEE Main
- JEE Advanced
- CG PPT
- MHT CET
- AP EAMCET
- SAT,ACT (for overseas)
- GMAT (for overseas)
- GRE (for overseas)
Some Books for Metallurgist Engineering are given below:
Career Scope in Metallurgical Engineering
Metals play a fundamental role in our daily lives. Therefore, the scope of metallurgists is quite wide both in India and abroad. Candidates can work in various multinational companies after completing metallurgist engineering degree. The field of metallurgy is extremely diverse and there are many job opportunities available for metallurgists.
- Larson’s Group
- The Metal Powder Company Ltd
- Hindustan Aeronautics Ltd
- Cable Corporation of India Ltd.
- Utkal Mineral
- Hindustan Copper Limited
- Tata Steel
- Jindal Steel
- Steel Authority of India (SAIL)
Top Employment Sectors
For a metallurgist, the top employment sectors are:
- civil services
- defense forces
- Metal and metal-related material manufacturing
- Road Development and Research Organizations
- Metal Specialists And Utilities Consultants
Job Profile and Salary
The salary of a metallurgist depends on his job profile, the industry he works in and the experience he has gathered. An entry-level metallurgist can earn between INR 4-7 LPA while an experienced metallurgist can earn more than INR 15 LPA. As mentioned earlier, depending on the job profile, the salary may also vary, so as per the specialization of the metallurgist (entry-level), here are some salary ranges –
|job profiles||Estimated Average Annual Salary|
|metallurgist||INR 4-7 Lakh|
|quality assurance manager||INR 6-8 Lakh|
|metallurgical laboratory technician||INR 4-6 Lakh|
|researcher||INR 3.5-5 Lakh|
|welding engineer||INR 3-5 Lakh|
Metallurgical engineering is one of the most diverse fields metallurgists can work in. Various PSUs and MNCs hire metallurgists and offer great salary packages with additional allowances and benefits.
The average fee for a metallurgical course depends on the institute. However, the average charges range from INR 1.5 to 2 LPA. Also, it is important to mention that most of the educational institutions offer full scholarship programs for deserving candidates as well.
The subjects a candidate has to study are Engineering Mathematics, Thermodynamics and Rare Processes, Manufacturing Processes, Physical Metallurgy, Extractive Metallurgy etc.
Hopefully, you must have come to know why you should make a career in Metallurgical Engineering. If you want to do metallurgical engineering course abroad then call 1800572000 Leverage Edu Book a free 30 minute session with experts and get better guidance.